Dudley Castle is a ruined fortification in the town of Dudley, West Midlands.
According to legend, a wooden castle was constructed on the site in the 8th century by a Saxon lord. Historians usually date the castle from soon after the Norman Conquest of 1066. Some of the earthworks from this castle still remain. The Paganel family built the first stone castle on the site, but it was demolished by order of King Henry II after a family member joined a failed rebellion against him in 1173. The Somery's were the next dynasty to own the site and built another castle with a chapel and a great hall. The keep and the main gate date from the 13th and 14th century.
John Dudley, Duke of Northumberland, came into ownership of Dudley Castle in 1537. He erected a range of new buildings within the older castle walls. Dudley was later beheaded for his attempt to set his daughter-in-law, Lady Jane Grey, on the throne. Queen Mary returned the castle to the Sutton family. Elizabeth I visited the castle during her reign, considering it as a possible place of imprisonment for Mary, Queen of Scots. Edward Sutton III was the last of the male line to possess the property.
During the 17th century Dudley Castle was partly demolished on the orders of Parliament. In the 19th century some tidying up of the site was carried out by the Earls of Dudley. Battlements were reconstructed on a remaining tower and the site was later used for pageants and other celebrations. The castle grounds were incorporated into Dudley Zoo in 1937.
Eastnor Castle is a 19th-century revival castle in Herefordshire. It was founded by John Cocks, 1st Earl Somers, as his stately home and continues to be inhabited by his descendants. In residence is the family of James Hervey-Bathurst. The estate was established when the Cocks family purchased land in the area in the 16th century. Subsequent marriages into the Somers and Nash families provided the wealth necessary to build the present imposing building, designed to look like one of the medieval castles guarding the Welsh borders.
It was built to the designs of Robert Smirke in 1812-20. The construction cost £85,000, the equivalent of approximately £26 to £28 million at 2007 prices. The castle has provided the backdrop to a number of films and television programs.
The Great Hall is the heart of the castle. It was furnished and decorated in the 1860s by G.E. Fox, who introduced the marble columns in the gallery and painted wall decoration, said to be taken from the design on a Saracen banner captured in the Crusades.
The chairs, benches and fire screens in the State Dining Room were designed by Smirke for the room and evoke an earlier style of English furniture. The ceiling was decorated in the 1850s and features crests of families with which the Somers and Cocks were linked.
The 16th century tapestries of the Staircase Hall were bought and hung here in 1990 to take the place of portraits now hanging in the Dining Room. The staircase was designed by Smirke with cast iron banisters.
The State Bedroom belonged to the 3rd Earl and is hung with panels from the Royal School of Needlework. The 17th century bed is Italian and belonged to Cardinal Bellarmine. The wardrobe and chest of drawers are 17th century Genoese.
Hampton Court Castle & Gardens is an estate in the county of Herefordshire. It dates from 1427, when Sir Rowland Lenthall built the original house on an estate which had been granted to him by King Henry IV at the time of his marriage to the king's cousin Margaret Fitzalan, daughter of the Earl of Arundel. The prominent and noble Coningsby family owned it from 1510 until the early 19th century, and has since changed hands several times. The house was remodelled in the 1830s and 1840s to give it more of a castle air, reversing earlier attempts to make it appear more regular and domestic.
Hampton Court Castle and grounds were sold by the Van Kampen family in 2008 and last year it was for sale for £16 million. The 12 acre garden is open to the public during the summer months.
Harvington Hall is a moated medieval and Elizabethan manor house in Worcestershire.
The Hall belongs to the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Birmingham since 1923 and is particularly notable for its seven priest holes, four of which are built around the main staircase and are thought to be the work of Nicholas Owen. The Archdiocese restored the Hall and opened it to the public.
To the left is the main Elizabethan building and to the right stands the North Tower, also originally Elizabethan but reconstructed in 1756 with a Georgian staircase and windows. Between them is the low central part, with the gateway and a single tall chimney. Many of the rooms still have their original Elizabethan wall paintings. On the far side of the island are two other buildings; a camouflaged 18th century Catholic chapel and the Elizabethan Malt House, which has recently been restored and adapted as a visitor centre.
The Elizabethan House was built in the 1580s by Humphrey Pakington. It was inherited by his daughter Mary, Lady Yate, on his death. In 1644 it was pillaged by Roundhead troops. The Throckmortons of Coughton Court in Warwickshire owned Harvington Hall from 1696 to 1923, but during the 19th Century it was stripped of furniture and panelling and the shell was left almost derelict.
William appointed Henry de Beaumont, the son of a powerful Norman family, as constable of the castle. In 1088, Henry was made the first Earl of Warwick.
In 1153, the wife of Roger de Beaumont, 2nd Earl of Warwick, was tricked into believing that her husband was dead, and surrendered control of the castle to the invading army of Henry of Anjou (later King Henry II). According to history, the Earl died on hearing the news that his wife had handed over the castle. King Henry later returned the castle to the Earls of Warwick. A stone castle replaced the first building in the 12th century. The castle's position made it strategically important in safeguarding the Midlands against rebellion.
When Thomas de Beaumont, 6th Earl of Warwick died, the castle and lands passed to his sister, Lady Margery, countess of Warwick in her own right. Her husband died soon after, and while she looked for a suitable husband, the castle was in the ownership of King Henry III. Warwick Castle was returned to her when she got married in 1242. The castle then passed through seven generations of the Beauchamp family, who over the next 180 years were responsible for most of the additions made to the castle. The defences were significantly enhanced by adding a gatehouse, a barbican and residential towers. The facade overlooking the river was designed as a symbol of the power and wealth of the Beauchamp earls and would have been of minimal defensive value, following a trend of 14th-century castles being more statements of power than designed exclusively for military use.
Richard Neville became the next Earl of Warwick through his wife's inheritance of the title. In 1469 Neville rebelled against King Edward IV and imprisoned him in Warwick Castle. Neville attempted to rule in the king's name, but the king's supporters forced him to release the king. Neville was killed in the Battle of Barnet in 1471 during the Wars of the Roses, and Warwick Castle passed to his son-in-law George Plantagenet who was executed in 1478, and then to his two-year-old son Edward, 17th Earl of Warwick, whose lands were taken in the custody of The Crown due to his young age. As he was too close to the throne he was placed under attainder so he could not inherit it, and was held in the Tower of London by Henry VII for fourteen years. In 1499, the 24-year-old Edward was executed for supposedly comitting high treason.
|The Bear and Clarence Towers were constructed by King Richard III in the 1480s.|
|The residential buildings line the eastern side of the castle, facing the River Avon. These buildings include the great hall, the library, bedrooms, and the chapel.|
Fulke Greville spent a lot of money (£3 million as of 2015) on renovations. Sadly, he was murdered by his manservant in Holborn, for leaving the servant out of the will. During the Civil Wars the castle was temporarily sieged, and prisoners were held there. A garrison was maintained in the castle for many years; at its strongest it numbered 302 soldiers. Extensive repairs were made of the interiors in the 1670s. On 4 November 1695 the castle was in sufficient state to host a visit by King William III. The Greville family became earls of Warwick in 1759.
In 1858 Queen Victoria visited the 4th earl with great local celebrations. The castle was extensively damaged by a fire in 1871 that started to the east of the Great Hall. Although the Great Hall was gutted, the overall structure was unharmed. Restoration and reparations were subsidised by donations from the public.
Successive earls expanded its tourism potential until 1978, when it was sold to the Tussauds Group, a media and entertainment company, after 374 years in the Greville family. They opened it as a tourist attraction and extensive restorations have been carried out since. The collection of armoury on display at Warwick Castle is regarded as second only to that of the Tower of London. Warwick Castle is one of Britain's best and most visited historic buildings.
This family house portrays life during the Victorian era and includes original Morris wallpapers and fabrics, De Morgan tiles, Kempe glass, and Pre-Raphaelite works of art. The house has beautiful Victorian gardens, stables, a workshop and a bookshop. It was presented to the National Trust in 1937. Descendants of the family retain rooms in the manor.